Senate Warns South Africa Against Further Attacks On Nigerians In South Africa

Uploaded by on July 16, 2019

The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, has comdemned incessant kiĺings of Nigerians in South African and warned that Nigeria will not condone any further killing of its citizens.

Senator Lawan stated this while playing host to the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe.

His visit to the Senate President was to unravel the causes of the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and steps being taken by the Sourh African authority to address the menace.

However, Mr Lawan expressed concern over the one hundred and eighteen Nigerians that have been lost in different attacks over the years, out of which thirteen were by South African Police.

According to the Senate President,
the meeting, became necessary considering the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa.

“We in the Parliament must speak and prevent any further killings. These killings must stop. This is the era of social media where corpse of a victim may spark violence that may go beyond the control of government.” He said.

He urged South African government to do whatever it takes to protect lives and property of Nigerians living in South Africa especially in this day of social media where government’s may not be able to control the fall out of such attacks.

“The South African government must as a matter of urgency do whatever it takes to protect the lives and property of Nigerians living there, just as Nigerian government remain committed to the safety of South Africans residing here and their investments.
“I believe we have faced enough, we will no longer take it anymore. We want to write the names of Nigerians killed, and the South African parliament must act fast to put a stop to this menace.


He recalled the enormous contributions of Nigeria to South Africa during the apartheid rule, adding that, “we must establish events leading into these killings, including the recent one of Mrs.Elizabeth Chukwu, who was killed in her hotel room.”

While commending the High Commissioner for the updates, Lawan noted that, “the update on the cause of late Mrs. Chukwu’s death is heartwarming. It is a sign that something has been done in this regards.”

Earlier, Mr. Moroe,who expressed regret over the killings of Nigerians and extended his country’s condolences to the families of the victims said that, an inquest had been instituted to investigate all cases of xenophobic attacks in the country.
The inquest, he said would reveal the cause of the menace and find solutions across board.

He reiterated the commitment of South African government and its law enforcement agencies to get to the root of the matter while bringing to book perpetrators of the attacks.

“Our government will continue to be committed to the good relationship with Nigeria. Your sentiment has gone deep into our hearts, and you will be happy that the same sentiment has been our concern in South Africa.

“On behalf of the government of South Africa, we express our sincere condolences to Nigerian government for this unfortunate incident”, he stated.

By Chinyere Ogbonna


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Current track

Title

Artist

Background